Travel restrictions between provinces will come into effect from midnight today, in order to curtail the spread of the coronavirus in Sri Lanka.
Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said the travel restriction will be in place until 31st May 2021.
He said, however, essential services, such as the Police, Military, health, power, petroleum, water, media, and private and Government institutions classified as essential services, will be allowed to cross provinces.
Key decisions announced during the special media briefing held on the inter-province travel restriction
- Tri-Forces and Police Special Task Force (STF) to set up roadblocks at all provincial borders from midnight today(11th).
- Travel for holidays and leisure activities, such as hotel stays and family visits, have been banned.
- Hotels requested to avoid allowing people from other provinces to stay on vacation, as inter-province travel has been prohibited.
- Action to be taken against people using crossroads to cross provinces during travel restrictions.
- Stringent action to be initiated against people holding gatherings and parties with or without alcohol.
- Essential services such as the Police, Military, health, CEB, water, media, and private and Government institutions classified as essential services, will be allowed to cross provinces.
- Employees required to cross provinces for work are requested to use their office ID or document from the company as an official pass.
- Leave of all Police officers will be canceled with effect from tomorrow(12th) until the 31st of May.
- Police officers residing in isolated areas have been requested not to report to work until the isolation is lifted. (Azzam)